10 QUESTIONS WITH YOGA BLISS OWNER PEYTON FISHER
by Makenzie Godzo – inRegister
Yoga has long been one of the most popular exercise regimens, boasting a variety of health benefits. Most yogis describe their classes and studios as welcome communities, offering support and care to anyone seeking it. Yoga Bliss has created this type of open community in Baton Rouge. Owner Peyton Fisher has a history of making a healthy difference in the lives of others, previously working with the state on diabetes and obesity prevention. His goal of helping people make healthier choices transferred to his love of yoga, and Yoga Bliss became an outlet for this pursuit. We sat down with Fisher to learn more about Yoga Bliss and how it’s changing the yoga scene in Baton Rouge.
1. What is a typical day like for you and your team? Our staff arrives at the studio about 45 minutes before the first class of the day to freshen up the studio and make it warm and inviting to all of the students. As students begin to arrive, we greet them at the front door with a smile and a big welcome. We have on average 6 to 8 classes a day, and our front desk staff, as well as our instructors, are all an integral part in making the studio operate efficiently.
2. What is your professional background? How did you get into this field? I’ve been practicing yoga for more than 20 years, and prior to Yoga Bliss I subbed as the Department of Health and Hospitals Program Director for diabetes and obesity prevention and management. I’ve always worked to help make a difference in the lives of others so that they may be healthier and happier. Yoga allowed me an opportunity to do that and share something that I love.
3. What are the first things customers see when they walk through the doors? Our bright, friendly smiling staff to greet them.
4. What sets your studio apart? We care about each and every one of our clients that walks in the door, as a human being and not about what walk of life they come from. We are creating an environment that these clients feel at ease in and come to rid themselves of their problems. We speak and treat every person that walks in the door the exact same way, and want them all to have the greatest experience in class and leave relaxed with a smile on their faces.
5. What is one thing you think customers should know about your studio that they may not be aware of? We are the only exclusive retailer of Manduka mats and clothing in Louisiana. Manduka is a brand that was made especially for yogis. We are also the state’s only registered 200 hour, 300 hour and 500 hour certified training school accredited by Yoga Alliance.
6. How do you keep your classes and workouts up to date? Our instructors work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep up with the latest trends in yoga and continually attend workshops around the state and even in other countries. Several of them travel to India to study under some amazing gurus and teachers.
7. Can you share a hint about any new class routines or new events coming soon? We have our Fall Teacher Training session beginning at the end of August, and we always are adding new workshops to the calendar. You can stay up to date with all the new events we add by visiting our website.
8. What was your reason for opening the studio? When did it open, and how has it grown or changed since then? The mission of Yoga Bliss is to provide a sanctuary for our community where great transformation can take place physically, mentally and spiritually through yoga. We opened our doors at Sherwood Forest in 2012 to expand on that mission and keep offering more!
9. What are a few basic poses everyone should practice? Child’s Pose, Warrior 1 and Downward Dog are great poses to work on your breathing while activating every muscle group.
10. What are some of your most popular classes? Bliss Flow is the most popular, but clients love our more gentle classes like Yin and Yang and Warm Restorative.